Monday, June 27, 2011

Back After an Itchy Situation

Sorry I've been MIA the past few days. I got a complaint that I fell off the mountain on the way down cause I hadn't been posting... which is obviously not true because then I wouldn't have made my last post :p

I could say that I've been super busy but that would be a lie, though I haven't really done a whole lot truthfully. The day after I went on my mountain hike (my previous post) I woke up with an INSANE amount of mosquito bites all over my legs. I counted 20+... I stopped counting after that cause it just made me sad. Oh, by the way, that's 20+ on my left leg. Sad face :(

But let me tell you, there is something devilish about the mosquito's here in Hong Kong because I've had bites before and probably even in that amount but I have never felt an itch like this in my life. I didn't itch it, I found that taking a shower and washing off the affected areas made the itch go away. But I went for a run the other day and afterwards I cannot describe to you how it felt, I must have looked like a crack addict walking home. I started to run because I wanted to get there sooner and wash myself off.

Anyways...

Obvious lesson would be to bring bug pray next time. A friend recommended "Off" which I've heard of before but they also mentioned that I should buy the cream as the spray doesn't work as well.

Today was a busy day, had my normal breakfast but unfortunately I didn't plan well enough and ended up eating fast food for lunch. I have to say that the metro in HK is fantastic though, you can get from one place to the other so quickly. I had four interviews today and I ended up being early to all of them because I was able to move about the city so quickly.

Got home around 7pm (the downstairs gym closes at 8pm), didn't have any food in the fridge so I went across the street to the market to pick up some fish, meat and bok choy. Came back home and threw it all in the freezer then hit the gym for a quick workout < 10 mins. I knew I wanted to do some snatches with a dumbell but I didn't know what else I should put with it so I took a look at www.crossfit.com and saw that their workout yesterday was run, snatch, run. I had just run 2 miles a couple days ago with a friend so I wanted to do something slightly different.

This is what I did:
25x Burpees
30x Single Arm Snatches w/ 50lb Dumbell (15 reps each arm)
25x Burpees

Nice and quick, get some of that explosiveness mixed in. And I had to fit it in 20 mins (8:32, actual time) cause the last time I tried to workout past 8pm the security guard got sassy with me.

A little tidbit about snatches ('slightly' crude, just warning)
http://www.crossfitcrux.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/snatch.jpg


Went back upstairs and made myself some dinner. I had thought to cook the meat I just bought but I already had some thawed and I figured I'd save the new meat for tupperware tomorrow.



So cooked up about 3oz. of unknown meat w/ 3 over medium fried eggs on top. It was delicious. I was going to make some bok choy with it as well but decided since I had fast food for lunch that I had enough sugar to top my system off for the day*. Got my 5 liter jug of water and I was set. Drink lots of water peoples! I'm super seriousness :)

Free video on hydration:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_AgainFaster_Hydration.mov

A little about the speaker:
Career at a glance
In 1987, he became the 2nd youngest person to ever circumnavigate Manhattan Island.  This 28.5 mile counter clockwise journey beginning and ending at the Statue of Liberty showed the 17 year old that such efforts were possible with the proper training and fitness.  This 7 hour and 48 minute effort was also good enough to place Max as the 2nd American, 2nd male and 5th overall finisher in a world class field of over 50 participants. 
  • 3-time USA Triathlon All-America selection (2006, 2007, 2008)
  • 3-Time Ironman finisher
  • 49th place at the Ford Ironman World Championship in Kona, HI 35-39 AG (2007)
  • 2nd place finish at Ford Ironman Coeur d’Alene 35-39 AG (2008)
  • 4th place finish at Ford Ironman Lake Placid 35-39 AG (2007)
  • Ended 2008 as #2 nationally ranked Ironman distance male in the 35-39 age group
  • Certified CrossFit Level I Certfication
  • CrossFit Endurance Head Coach 

Reference:
http://www.gotrimax.com/TriMaxAboutUs.htm

He probably knows a little bit about hydration :)

I'm working tomorrow from 9am-6pm so for sure I won't be getting a workout in but I'll do my best to write something up regardless. I'm thinking either something on linear strength progression or grains and anti-nutrients (I get a lot of questions from people on this when I talk about nutrition with them).



*The body stores sugar in two places, your liver and your muscles. Your brain can only run on sugar while other parts of your body can run on fat (ketosis). Your brain can only access sugar from your liver and your liver can only store approx. 2,000 calories. (Reference "Enter the Zone" by Barry Sears)


Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment