Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My first post

My first post, I feel like this needs to be profound. Nah.

So I am currently living in Hong Kong, I am scheduled to be here till September first. The food here for me has been interesting so far. A lot of eating things that I'm not sure what they are, they taste great but no idea where it came from.

I've recently started phasing myself into a cyclic low carb paleo diet. This is essentially a hi fat, moderate protein, low carb diet cutting out all grains, legumes and dairy. I've been inspired to give it a shot after reading Robb Wolf's new book called "The Paleolithic Solution" and also listening to his podcast via iTunes, though it can also be found on his webpage www.robbwolf.com

I haven't fully taken on the meal prescriptions for every meal everyday but I am working on it. I started off with one paleo meal a day and now I'm up to two a day with just dinner to tackle next. I'm tracking my progress with pictures, I'm not sure that I'll put them up or not yet, still yet to be decided (perhaps I'll make a single post out of it later on).

I am lucky enough that there is gym in my apartment building here so I am able to exercise whenever I want between the hours of 8am - 8pm. Now some might think that's amazing and I should work out all day long as much as I can. And I think 5 years ago I would have agreed with you and been all about it but after a bit of research I've come to understand that excessive exercise can actually cause you to either gain weight or slow down the shedding of those last few pounds. I'm too lazy to read though research for a reference on this but if you just google "over training" and "cortisol" and I'm sure you'll find something about it.

So as a solution I've been sticking with some of the old school crossfit wod's (Workout of the Day). Or I've recently taken some of the mainsite (www.crossfit.com) wod's and scaled them back so they are 2 - 12 minute efforts.


Today on the mainsite was Deadlift 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Unfortunately at my gym there is no barbell so I decided to try my hand at some weighted pistols. Now pistols done properly are quite a challenge and require a fair amount of flexibility, hip mobility, balance and just plain strength. I'd never done pistols before in a workout so I used a bench as a stopping point for my buns, stretching between rounds as my flexability could also use some help. To make the pistols heavier I held a single dumbell with both hands at my chest level just under my chin.

My weight progression looked like this:
30, 20, 15, 15, no-weight

Obviously pistols are a weak point for me, something to work on :)

Here's a pistol for those who don't know what it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3zbtsZ1zbw

I recently discovered MovNat and am pretty excited to try it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61t3ObnSP0&feature=related

Here's an article about the 5 day... experience... they offer.
http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/strength-and-power-training/The-Workout-that-Time-Forgot.html?page=1

There is a very large mountain not too far from my apartment, sounds like a fun adventure to me. I'll be sure to take some pictures!

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment